COOL CITIES CAMPAIGN
Compact Fluorescent Lamps, printer cartridges and batteries:
Use Them, and Recycle Them Downtown
In an effort to be more Green many of us are making the switch to compact fluorescent lamps, (CFL). These lights last longer than the standard incandescent bulbs and use less energy. But, unlike incandescent bulbs, CFL's cannot be thrown in the trash. They contain a small amount of mercury, which allows the lamps to be more efficient, but mercury is toxic and must be disposed of properly.
The Downtown Merchants of Blacksburg have made it their mission to help out with the proper disposal of CFL's, batteries and printer cartridges. Please tape the ends of your batteries or individually bag them before dropping them off at one of the collection points in downtown Blacksburg. The following businesses will accept CFL's, batteries and printer cartridges and take them to the correct recycle collection points at no charge to you:
Community Arts Information Office
EATS Natural Foods
The Artful Lawyer Gallery Store
The Bike Barn accepts used bike tires, inner tubes and metal bike parts for recycling.
Heavener Hardware has a cardboard compactor available for public use to recycle cardboard.
RECYCLING CONTAINERS DOWNTOWN
The Town of Blacksburg has already installed the “split can inserts” into 6 existing cans (half is devoted to trash and half recycling). They are located at:
• 316 N. Main Street @Chipolte.
• 400 N. Main Street @Tobacco Shop.
• 208 N. Main Street @ front of Lilac.
• N. Main Street @ Post Office Corner.
• N. Main Street @ Old NBB Bank.
• N. Main Street @ Capones.
They have also installed one new recycle only can and one new duel can (½ trash – ½ recycling), both at DP Dough.
There are 7 more locations remaining to install – coming soon:
• Draper Road @ Farmers Market – two new duel cans.
• Draper Road @ Armory Building – one new recycle only can.
• Draper Road @ Armory Building Stairs - one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ Sharkeys – one new recycle only can.
• 322 N. Main Street @ Hokie House – one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ Cooks Clean Center – one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ crosswalk @ Mike’s Grille - one new recycle only can.
The Downtown Merchants of Blacksburg have also committed to follow the DEQ guidelines and officially make all of our events Virginia Green!
For information about Environmental Sustainability in Blacksburg click here.
For information about Ride Solutions click here
For information about Sustainable Blacksburg click here.
For information from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, (DEQ) visit:http://www.deq.virginia.gov/AboutUs.aspx