DBI HELIUM BALLOON POLICY
HELIUM BALLOON POLICY JUSTIFICATION
• According to the Clean Virginia Waterways website hosted by Longwood College: “Balloons are hazards when they enter the aquatic environment because they can look a great deal like jellyfish—a major source of food for many animals. Sea turtles, dolphins, whales, fish, and seabirds have been reported with balloons in their stomachs.” Also, the strings used to tie the balloons can entangle fish and birds as well.
• At the very least, balloons that land on ground end up as litter. Latex balloons are known to take years to biodegrade in contrast to the balloon industry which claim they are biodegradable.
• Helium is a nonrenewable resource that is in short supply and more urgently needed for medical use and research purposes.
HELIUM BALLOON POLICY
Downtown Blacksburg, Inc. acknowledges the potential dangers to the environment which can be caused by helium filled balloons.
Therefore the use of helium balloons at festivals and events presented by Downtown Blacksburg, Inc. will not be permitted.
Balloons filled with helium are not allowed to be sold, given away, on display, or in the booth of any vendor. Balloons that are not filled with helium, such as water balloons and balloons used to create balloon animals are allowed but must be correctly disposed of in a trash can after use.
Policy Adopted October 2014
DBI CERTIFIED GREEN EVENTS
Our events have once again acheived Green Event Status with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
Horseshoes & Hats Kentucky Derby Casino Night- Saturday May 2 Details Here
Summer Solstice Fest- June 20 Details Here
Art at the Market- Saturday July 18 Details Here
Steppin' Out- Aug 7-8 Details Here
Please support our green efforts by carpooling, walking, biking or taking the bus to our events!!
COOL CITIES CAMPAIGN
Compact Fluorescent Lamps, printer cartridges and batteries:
Use Them, and Recycle Them Downtown
In an effort to be more Green many of us are making the switch to compact fluorescent lamps, (CFL). These lights last longer than the standard incandescent bulbs and use less energy. But, unlike incandescent bulbs, CFL's cannot be thrown in the trash. They contain a small amount of mercury, which allows the lamps to be more efficient, but mercury is toxic and must be disposed of properly.
The Downtown Merchants of Blacksburg have made it their mission to help out with the proper disposal of CFL's, batteries and printer cartridges. Please tape the ends of your batteries or individually bag them before dropping them off at one of the collection points in downtown Blacksburg. The following businesses will accept CFL's, batteries and printer cartridges and take them to the correct recycle collection points at no charge to you:
Community Arts Information Office
EATS Natural Foods
The Artful Lawyer Gallery Store
The Bike Barn accepts used bike tires, inner tubes and metal bike parts for recycling.
Heavener Hardware has a cardboard compactor available for public use to recycle cardboard.
RECYCLING CONTAINERS DOWNTOWN
The Town of Blacksburg has already installed the “split can inserts” into 6 existing cans (half is devoted to trash and half recycling). They are located at:
• 316 N. Main Street @Chipolte.
• 400 N. Main Street @Tobacco Shop.
• 208 N. Main Street @ front of 310 Rosemont
• N. Main Street @ Post Office Corner.
• N. Main Street @ Old NBB Bank.
• N. Main Street @ Capones.
They have also installed one new recycle only can and one new duel can (½ trash – ½ recycling), both at DP Dough.
There are 7 more locations remaining to install – coming soon:
• Draper Road @ Farmers Market – two new duel cans.
• Draper Road @ Armory Building – one new recycle only can.
• Draper Road @ Armory Building Stairs - one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ Sharkeys – one new recycle only can.
• 322 N. Main Street @ Hokie House – one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ Cooks Clean Center – one new recycle only can.
• N. Main Street @ crosswalk @ Mike’s Grille - one new recycle only can.
The Downtown Merchants of Blacksburg have also committed to follow the DEQ guidelines and officially make all of our events Virginia Green!
For information about Environmental Sustainability in Blacksburg click here.
For information about Ride Solutions click here
For information about Sustainable Blacksburg click here.
For information from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, (DEQ) visit:http://www.deq.virginia.gov/AboutUs.aspx